Tuesday, June 16, 2009

5 Side Effects of Stress

In today's blog entry, we have a guest writer! Exciting! Meredith Walker has contributed a short article about the effects of STRESS (which, as we know, is the root of all evil). Meredith writes for several online education sites and manages the blog for NursingDegree.net, a website that offers people the opportunity to attend school and choose between a variety of nursing programs and degrees. The site also helps people to go back to school while continuing to work or raise families. If you are interested in finding out more, Meredith's contact info is at the end of the article.


5 Side Effects of Stress

Stress is an inevitable part of life that can lead to many debilitating illnesses including ulcers, anxiety, or hypertension. While some forms of stress can never be eliminated from your life, the key is learning how to control stress when it hits. Stress can produce many side effects that are dangerous to your overall body chemistry and it is only after completely understanding these effects that you will be able to move forward in combating the things in your life that cause you undue stress.

Ulcers

Ulcers have mainly been cited with a bacterial infection that causes the growth of an ulcer, however only 80 percent are found to be associated with this infection, which leaves the rest up in the air in regards to the true explanation for the remaining 20 percent. Many of these have been attributed to stress, either directly or indirectly through various complications. Chronic stress, as well as irregular meals due to this stress, has helped contribute to many forms of peptic ulcers through increasing the amount of stomach acid that can lead to infection.

Insomnia

Insomnia occurs as a result of many conflicting factors, most revolving around stress at work, life, or school. If something important is about to occur or something traumatic has just happened, this stress will contribute to your inability to get enough sleep because you will lie awake all night thinking about this particular task or event. Decreasing the amount of stress in your life will lead to a healthier sleep schedule and will in turn result in a better overall lifestyle.

Anxiety

Stressing about an upcoming due date or event in your life can cause unneeded anxiety because of the stress which this event may bring with it. In order to combat this from occurring, you need to calm down and figure out a way that will rid your mental state of all this extra anxiety; maybe you can have someone help you through this time, or even extend your deadline. Causing your body this type of unneeded stress and anxiety will cause you to grow old before your time and can lead to overreactions in many different scenarios. The best thing to do is remain calm and remember that no matter what, the upcoming event is going to occur regardless of what may happen.

Depression

Depression is a serious mental illness that can affect every aspect of your life from your work to your family to even your pets. Stress is a large contributor to depression and can cause you to become severely depressed from one incident in your life. If you continually dwell on one specific event, rather than moving on or focusing on something happy in your life, you will find yourself spiraling downward into depression, which becomes incredibly difficult to work your way out of. The best way to avoid this is to accurately manage your stress and do not let the little things in life bother you in such a vast way.

Hypertension

Stress can lead to hypertension as well, which is a medical condition in which blood pressure is chronically elevated. Avoiding stress through relaxation techniques such as meditation can thwart high blood pressure from occurring. While this is not the only cause of high blood pressure, it has been found to be a main contributor when coupled with poor eating habits (which can also be a sign of undue stress). Leading a stress-free life is a difficult thing to accomplish but once you get to this level, your overall mental and physical health benefits from this lifestyle change.

This post was contributed by Meredith Walker, who writes about the online nursing programs. She welcomes your feedback at MeredithWalker1983 at gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. We appreciate your feedback!